We have constantly been emphasising how valuable the skill of sewing can be & we vow to always share sewing tips for beginners. Whether you’re a complete beginner or a seasoned sewer, there’s always something new to learn and discover. There are so many benefits and transformations to encounter when you start your sewing journey and we know how scary this journey can seem.
We are here to share some fun and informative sewing tips for beginners. These tips will help you to get started on the right foot and avoid some common mistakes.
Tip #1: Choose the right sewing machine.
If you’re just starting out, it’s important to choose a sewing machine that is easy to use and has the basic features you need. There are many different sewing machines on the market, so it’s important to do your research before you buy one. If you missed our previous blog about how to choose a sewing machine. We have also prepared a blog and video to help with this as well.
Consider the following factors when choosing a sewing machine for beginners:
- Ease of use: Look for a sewing machine that is easy to thread and operate. Some machines have features that make them especially easy for beginners to use, such as automatic needle threading and built-in stitch patterns.
- Stitch features: Make sure the sewing machine you choose has the basic stitches you’ll need for most projects, such as the straight stitch, zigzag stitch, and buttonhole stitch. Some machines also have additional stitches, such as decorative stitches and stretch stitches.
- Price: Sewing machines come in a wide range of prices. Set a budget before you start shopping so you don’t overspend.
Tip #2: Invest in good-quality sewing supplies.
Good-quality sewing supplies will make your sewing projects easier and more enjoyable. Be sure to purchase high-quality needles, thread, scissors, and other sewing supplies.
Here are some specific sewing supplies that beginners should invest in:
- Sewing needles: Sewing needles come in different sizes and types. Choose needles that are appropriate for the fabric you’ll be sewing. For example, use a sharp needle for sewing cotton and a blunt needle for sewing knit fabrics.
- Sewing thread: Sewing thread comes in a variety of colors and weights. Choose a thread that is the same color as the fabric you’re sewing or a complementary color. Use an all-purpose thread for most projects.
- Sewing scissors: Sewing scissors are sharp scissors that are specifically designed for cutting fabric. Avoid using regular scissors to cut fabric, as this can dull the blades.
- Measuring tape: A measuring tape is essential for measuring fabric and cutting it to the correct size.
- Pins: Pins are used to hold fabric in place while you’re sewing. Choose pins that are the appropriate size for the fabric you’re sewing. For example, use long pins for thick fabrics and short pins for thin fabrics.
- Seam ripper: A seam ripper is a tool that is used to remove stitches. It is helpful to have a seam ripper on hand in case you make a mistake.
Tip #3: Start with simple projects.
Don’t try to sew a ball gown as your first project! Start with something simple, like a pillowcase or a tote bag. As you gain more experience, you can tackle more complex projects.
Here are some easy sewing projects for beginners:
- Tote bag
- Kitchen towel
- Simple skirt
- Gathered dress
Tip #4: Follow instructions carefully.
When you’re first starting out, it’s important to follow sewing instructions carefully. This will help you to avoid making mistakes. There are many free and paid sewing patterns available online and in sewing books that you can start with if you’d like to skip the process of drafting. The University of YouTube will also be your best friend here LOL!
Here are some tips for following sewing instructions:
- Read the instructions carefully before you start sewing.
- Make sure you understand all of the steps involved in the project.
- Gather all of the necessary materials before you start sewing.
- Follow the instructions step-by-step.
- Don’t be afraid to ask for help if you get stuck.
Tip #5: Don’t be afraid to ask for help.
If you get stuck, don’t be afraid to ask for help from a more experienced sewer. There are many online and in-person communities where sewers can help each other. You can also take a sewing class to learn the basics of sewing and get help from an instructor. We are always willing to help where necessary, so feel free to reach out to us.
Here are some ways to get help with sewing:
- Ask a friend or family member who knows how to sew for help.
- Join a sewing group or community online or in person.
- Take a reputable sewing class whether online or in person.
- Watch sewing tutorials on YouTube or other video websites.
Bonus tip: Have fun! Always be patient with yourself and have fun!
Trust and believe that sewing is a fun and rewarding hobby. Enjoy the process of creating something new with your own hands.